Family Crisis Council
24 - Hour Crisis Line
4/28: Denim Day, Rowan County
Wear jeans to work or school to promote discussion of the misconceptions about sexual violence.
April 2017: Clothesline Project, Rowan Public Library Main & South Branches
Victims of sexual violence in Rowan County have expressed their emotions by decorating t-shirts. The t-shirts are on display and we hope you will enjoy their messages of courage and hope. Visit the Library and check out the books about this topic.
Family Crisis Council of Rowan Country was founded in 1978 to provide support services to victims of family violence and sexual assault.
Sexual assault is any unwanted contact or sexual attention committed by force, threats, bribes, manipulation, coercion, pressure, tricks or violence. It includes rape, attempted rape, incest, child molestation, child sexual abuse, sexual harassment and any other sexual offense.
Sexual assault is a terrifying and often a brutal crime: assailants can be friends, family members, acquaintances or strangers. The effects are felt by victims and those who love them.
Rape is a crime of violence, anger and power. It is NOT motivated by sexual desire but out of the desire to control, humiliate and hurt the victim.
Victims are of every age, both sexes, all races and varied economic and educational backgrounds.
Sexual assault does not discriminate. It can happen to anyone. Victims are our coworkers, neighbors, friends and family members.
FCC of Rowan County provides services to hundreds of new clients each year. These are victims of all forms of sexual assault. The assault may have happened recently or it may have happened years ago.
· Every two minutes someone in the United States is sexually assaulted
· A rape occurs every 3 hours and 52 minutes in North Carolina
· One out of every four college students will be assaulted
· Nearly 1 in 5 NC women will be sexually assaulted at some point in her life
· It is estimated that over 92,000 men are forcibly raped every year
· Less than 10% of sexual assaults are reported to the police
· Sexual assault has the lowest reporting rate of any violent crime
· 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail
http://www.medicaldaily.com/therapeutic-science-adult-coloring-books-how-childhood-pastime-helps-adults-356280 The Therapeutic Science Of Adult Coloring Books: How This Childhood Pastime Helps Adults Relieve Stress